I spent this Labor Day weekend here in the Prairie participating in Monique Verdin's annual land celebration here at her land in the Prairie.
On Saturday I gave a workshop on vineraire to a group of women and we made smudges and drank iced mint tea.
On Sunday we had a party with lots of good food. Joey made white beans and sausage on the braise and there was so much watermelon and fresh boiled shrimp I ate until I couldn't anymore. The most special part besides the superlative group of herbalists, artists, writers, producers, professors and generally lovely friends Monique brings together so often was the earth pigment paints hand made and provided by Tammy Greer. Like Monique she is a member of the United Houma Nation and specializes in making paints and dyes with natural materials. She generously allowed us to paint with her assortment of powders we reconstituted with water. There were red and yellow ochres and pink clays from far north. We used blue butterfly pea powder, charcoal, smilax, elderberry, prickly pear, hibiscus and yellow dock.



No comments :
Post a Comment