Thursday, August 29, 2013

Cajun French Homecoming T-shirts

At the local high school where I taught, homecoming week is passed in good cheer with theme days: pajama day, crazy day, camouflage day, nerd day, 80's day, etc. For our school, they even had Cajun day where, I saw students dressing up as the stereotype of a Cajun character they had seen portrayed on television: no teeth, barefoot, straw hat, big smile, cut offs, with a pirouge paddle, nutria rat pelt. I even found myself getting into the spirit on that day, wearing my husband's Dickies pants and boots and carrying a large wooden roux spoon. So I took the day to talk to my students about these swamp stereotypes and in response, we came up with "Cajun French" t-shirt slogans to make white t-shirts to wear our Cajun French on Cajun Day like a read Cajun would. The principal, a fellow Ville Plattian and bon vivant, agreed, so I let my students choose what they wanted to put on their shirts. Here is the list of the most crazy/nonsensical/pop-culture/Cajun French/rap/cowboy amalgam of words I have ever seen. Was I ever proud!!


No comments :

Post a Comment