Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Mais Jamais de La Vie! Carême Traditions.

A reminder from my favorite priest, Father Jason Vidrine


Here, from the Tasse Cafe Radio Program, Lena talks about the traditions of local Catholics during Lent, or Carême: 

 

1. People fasted starting at age 21.  

2.  No meat was eaten on Wednesday or Friday.

 3. One meal of meat was allowed per day, except on Sundays. 

4. No snacks or "in-between meals" except on Sundays. 

5. During a fast, the sum of your three daily meals (breakfast, dinner and supper) should equal the amount of food eaten at one usual sized meal. 

6. People fasted and practiced abstinence.

7. Tu peux pas aller au bal during Lent, until Holy Saturday. 
(You can't go to the dance during lent until Holy Saturday.) 

8. If March 19, the Feast of Saint Joseph, falls during Lent, you can break fast that day, go to the dance, eat all you want. 

9. Nowadays you can choose your penance, except you still can't eat meat on Fridays.

10. They not strict like they used to be.

In the old old days, it was a sin to go to the dance during Lent, but Lena's aunt had slept out one night and went anyway. When she went to confession, the priest refused her absolution! To this, Jim Soileau exclaims, "Mais, jamais de la vie!"(Well I never!/Never in life!) But it was ok, because she went to another priest, who forgave her, but she sure didn't want to tell Mamere that she didn't have absolution!

Another Reminder from Father Vidrine

1 comment :

  1. Hey PF, what's up? I met Father Vidrine today at Mardell's reunion. He said Mass too. Very cool guy and I didn't know he was from Ville Platte. Yeah, Lent is not as strict now, from what I've heard too. Hope all is well and now that I got a handle on my new route I'm trying to catch up on reading and such. Take care, Milan. Oh, Father Vidrine showed me a bottle of wine made by the Vidrine (Vedrine) family in France. We didn't drink none, just looked at bottle. He had a scrap book thing with all sorts of Vidrine information in France when he went there. He talked in French too during the Mass. OK, I rambled, I know.

    ReplyDelete