Friday, November 2, 2012

Plaisance Seafoam Mary and Shallots

 
Here is the most beautiful homestead and Mary statue, in my opinion, on the Opelousas Road (Hwy 167) at the village of Plaisance. I always see this man outside doing things, so I stopped on November 1, La Toussaint. I think I was emboldened by the fresh air and the connection with people both past and present that we celebrate today, so I asked to take a few pictures of his statue. When I pulled up he barely stopped cleaning his green onions. The fresh La Toussaint air around his chicken yard was onion-y, you could not escape it, it smelled like the same color of the house. His onions were so clean and white. He was so nice, cleaning and bunching his shallots on the tail gate with a little metal knife. He let me take the pictures of course, saying "go 'head, have ya fun," and told me that he'd just moved the statue from an arbor he made that was destroyed in a storm, so he had moved her next to the house. That made sense, because I had never seen the Mary there until recently, and I had been obsessed with the colors of the beautiful sea foam house next to the Zydeco Festival sign since forever. He showed me an ice chest full of the prettiest, greenest "mustards" you ever saw... that sharp, onion smell was in the air... I thanked him profusely, and left him to his pleasurable work. 












No comments :

Post a Comment