Thursday, October 10, 2013

Things I learned on the Tasse Cafe Radio Program VOL 1

 I went to Vidrine Elementary in 5th grade, and every morning I carpooled with Miss Debbie Fontenot from where I lived on Pine Street to the west side of town and on to Vidrine. On the 20 minute drive to school, Mrs. Debbie listened to the news in French and I loved it. There were advertisements for local businesses in French and local and state news and announcements, as well as the Tasse de Cafe Radio Program, where people can call in to ask questions or reminisce in local French. I remember listening and looking out of the window at the foggy cow fields all the way down the Vidrine Road. I used to imagine that I could understand it like Mrs. Debbie did. I probably did understand some. I understood little things like "trois-six-trois" because all of the telephone numbers in town started with 3-6-3, things like that, and because the French was interspersed with English, it made it even easier. Sometimes Mrs. Debbie told us what they were saying, or she'd laugh. Never did I realize that this radio program out of 92.5 KVPI in Ville Platte, would be a catalyst in my life and that one day I really would be able to understand the program and even learn by transcribing the ancient/modern French they speak.



THINGS I LEARNED FROM THE TASSE DE CAFE RADIO PROGRAM

Monday October 7,  2013

On a pas eu quek rapport de grosse chasse des éceruils qu'a pris place ce weekend. Personne après se vanter de leur report, ça fait, j'connais pas. (We haven't had a couple of reports of the big squirrel hunt that took place this weekend. No one is exaggerating their report, so, I don't know...)

Fie (?) means manière doucement... le monde est manière fie à ce matin. (Fie means kinda slow...the people are kinda slow and lazy this morning.)

Tomorrow night is the opening of the Cotton Festival with the Contradance and the Crowning of the King and Queen of Heritage Manor.

Sulfur powder and oil gets rid of la gale. Or you can dip 'em in dat kreosote. Dat'll cure dat dog with da gale. I promise you.








No comments :

Post a Comment